Audubon Nature Institute Wins Top Spots in USA Today’s 10Best List for Best Aquarium and Best Zoo
- Gorilla"Okie" a Western Lowland Gorilla in the World of Primates exhibit Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans.
- JellyfishJellyfish photographed at Audubon Aquarium of the Americas on November 2, 2017.
- Giraffe at Audubon ZooGiraffe at Audubon Zoo
- PenguinsMore than 20 African Penguins, ranging in ages, make up the penguin colony at Audubon Aquarium.
- White AlligatorA white alligator at Audubon Zoo on November 3, 2014. Photo by Rusty Costanza, Digital Roux Photography.
- RubyThe rescued juvenile sea otter from Monterey, Calif., arrived at Audubon Aquarium of the Americas and is currently acclimating to her new environment behind-the-scenes in the custom-made, 25,000-gallon sea otter habitat.
- Jambi"Jambi" the male orangutan in the Orangutan exhibit Wednesday, February 6, 2019.
- Sting raysTwo rays in Great Maya Reef
- ZebraAudubon Zoo
- SeahorseAquarium of Americas seahorse
- Black BearBlack Bear in the Louisiana Swamp exhibit February 25,2019 Audubon Zoo
- LionfishA lionfish at Audubon Aquarium of the Americas on December 12, 2014.
The votes are in, and Audubon Aquarium of the Americas and Audubon Zoo are winners of the USA TODAY 10Best Readers' Choice travel award contest.
The Aquarium ranked 3rd and the Zoo ranked 9th among 20 nominees, all accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), that were hand-picked by a panel of travel experts.
"What an honor bestowed on our Aquarium and Zoo," said Audubon President and CEO Ron Forman. "Visiting zoos and aquariums nurtures an appreciation for the magnificent animal diversity of our planet, and we are grateful to our community members and visitors who voted to include us in the top 10 in the country."
The full list of winners is available at https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-aquarium-2019/ and https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-zoo-2019/.
What makes a Zoo and Aquarium “America’s Favorite?” USA Today says:
“Short of heading out into the world's wild places, nothing beats a visit to the zoo to foster an appreciation for the striking animal diversity of our planet. We asked a panel of travel experts to nominate their favorite North American AZA-accredited zoos – facilities that excel in the fields of animal care and enrichment, while also facilitating meaningful interactions between animals and human visitors”
"Aquariums put us face to fin with aquatic life from the world's oceans, lakes and waterways in a fun and educational setting. The best aquariums also play a vital role in animal conservation by taking part in rescue efforts and advocating for the environmental health of our oceans."
Every other week the 10Best Readers’ Choice Award contest launches a new list of twenty (20) businesses in certain designated categories on its website. Commencing on the date each list is posted, readers can vote for their favorite nominated business. Voting continues for 28 days from date of initial publication for each new list of businesses. At the end of the 28 day voting period, the nominated businesses that have received the most eligible votes are designated as the Readers' Choice for their respective categories and awarded a badge of recognition as the 10Best Readers' Choice.
Audubon Nature Institute operates a family of museums, parks and research facilities dedicated to celebrating the wonders of nature. Through innovative live animal exhibits, education programs, and scientific discovery, Audubon makes a meaningful contribution to preserving wildlife for the future. Audubon Nature Institute flagships include Audubon Park, Audubon Zoo, Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, Entergy Giant Screen Theater, Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium, Audubon Louisiana Nature Center, Freeport-McMoRan Audubon Species Survival Center, Woldenberg Riverfront Park and Audubon Wilderness Park. Ron Forman is President and CEO of Audubon Nature Institute.