Audubon Zoo and Audubon Aquarium Nominated for USA TODAY 10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards
Vote today and vote often!
- Gorilla"Okie" a Western Lowland Gorilla in the World of Primates exhibit Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans.
- Giraffe at Audubon ZooGiraffe at Audubon Zoo
- PenguinsMore than 20 African Penguins, ranging in ages, make up the penguin colony at Audubon Aquarium.
- White AlligatorA white alligator at Audubon Zoo on November 3, 2014. Photo by Rusty Costanza, Digital Roux Photography.
- RubyThe rescued juvenile sea otter from Monterey, Calif., arrived at Audubon Aquarium of the Americas and is currently acclimating to her new environment behind-the-scenes in the custom-made, 25,000-gallon sea otter habitat.
- Jambi"Jambi" the male orangutan in the Orangutan exhibit Wednesday, February 6, 2019.
- Sting raysTwo rays in Great Maya Reef
- Zebra at Audubon ZooAfrican Savanna Exhibit at Audubon Zoo, a facility of Audubon Nature Institute, New Orleans, LA. Photo by Jeff Strout.
- SeahorseAquarium of Americas seahorse
- Black BearBlack Bear in the Louisiana Swamp exhibit February 25,2019 Audubon Zoo
- LionfishA lionfish at Audubon Aquarium of the Americas on December 12, 2014.
Audubon Nature Institute has been nominated in USA Today's latest 10Best Readers' Choice travel award contest! Their expert panel selected Audubon Zoo as a contender for Best Zoo and Audubon Aquarium of the Americas for Best Aquarium in the competition. The contest, which is USA TODAY just launched, gives voters four weeks to vote for the candidate of their choice at http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/. A person can vote once a day for the duration of the contest.
Voting ends Monday, April 22nd, 2019 at 11:59 a.m. Eastern Time, and the winners will be announced on the 10Best website on Friday, May 3rd, 2019, then later on the USA TODAY website. For official rules, click here.
Last year, Audubon Aquarium ranked 5th and the Zoo ranked 8th among 20 nominees "hand-picked by a panel of zoo and family travel experts" and accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).
What makes a Zoo and Aquarium “America’s Favorite?” USA Today says:
“Short of heading out into the world's wild places, nothing beats a visit to the zoo to foster an appreciation for the striking animal diversity of our planet. We asked a panel of travel experts to nominate their favorite North American AZA-accredited zoos – facilities that excel in the fields of animal care and enrichment, while also facilitating meaningful interactions between animals and human visitors”
"Aquariums put us face to fin with aquatic life from the world's oceans, lakes and waterways in a fun and educational setting. The best aquariums also play a vital role in animal conservation by taking part in rescue efforts and advocating for the environmental health of our oceans."
Audubon Nature Institute operates a family of museums, parks and research facilities dedicated to celebrating the wonders of nature. Through innovative live animal exhibits, education programs, and scientific discovery, Audubon makes a meaningful contribution to preserving wildlife for the future. Audubon Nature Institute flagships include Audubon Park, Audubon Zoo, Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, Entergy Giant Screen Theater, Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium, Audubon Louisiana Nature Center, Freeport-McMoRan Audubon Species Survival Center, Woldenberg Riverfront Park and Audubon Wilderness Park. Ron Forman is President and CEO of Audubon Nature Institute.